Monday 30 July 2007

An Irish "Summer"



When I originally started this post it was to give out about the Irish so-called "summer". I was going to moan about the fact that it had rained every day since the beginning of June - over 50 days at last count. I had uploaded the picture above (from a weathercam on O'Connell bridge), of miserable wet Irish people, walking around, as many of them do, with no umbrellas, and of the dark and dreary streets of Dublin. It was going to be quite a depressing blog.





Thankfully though, the weather has finally broken and in the last couple of days we have gotten to see some sun (photo above from traffic-cam on O'Connell St today). So instead this is a blog about the funny things I have heard people say about the weather over the last couple of months. I like to think they have an almost Zen koan quality ("what is the sound of one hand clapping?") to them. Though I have to say I'm not too sure whether, with the Irish sayings, enlightenment is the aim. Still, I think they score highly for their entertainment factor.

Irish sayings about the weather:

- "That's very wet rain"
- "We're going to get some weather tomorrow"
- "It's a soft day"
- "It's a dirty day"
- "Real men don't use umbrellas"
(This is not so much a saying as an attitude, though Eric did hear a workmate say something to that effect. Eric's response was 'so what, real men just get wet'?)

3 comments:

Bridget said...

How about this common Irish phrase describing the weather:

"Oh fuck, it's fucking raining a-fucking-gain."

Anonymous said...

I am very much enjoying your blog and, as I love the rain, think 50 days of rain doesn't sound so bad. Maybe I wouldn't like it if we had that hear. I loved the pictures of your garden. Dad hasn't given me any tomatoes yet. I better get over there and beg. Saturday is the Troyer trip. We'll miss you. Thanks for the card with the great picture from DC. Love Therese et al

Anonymous said...

It's been fun reading your blog, Easy way to keep up with you guys.

Hey, and Bridget, thanks for the laff !!! that was "fookin" funny

Ben