Thursday 16 August 2007

A Sandwich Adventure


This blog has taken an age to write, probably because I have been trying to figure out why I wanted to write about sandwiches. I think it was inspired by a conversation I had with my sister-in-law Ceci. We got talking about banana sandwiches, as you do, when she suggested the daring combination of banana and Marmite. Now if you, like Eric, are turning your nose up, let me tell you that I tried it recently and actually it's very nice. A bit of sweet and a bit of savoury, a sandwich I can imagine getting cravings for. Anyway, hence this blog.

I have to say I like strange sandwich combinations, particularly if they work. For me there's nothing better than bringing together ingredients, which would appear to be an unnatural pairing, only to find out that they are a perfect match (okay, so there are alot of things that are better, but humour me here).

As most of you know myself and Eric are foodies and when it comes to food, quite adventurous, though funnily enough, the one food Eric says he will never, never, try is banana sandwiches. I am all for adventure as most of my favourite foods (eg blue cheese, coconuts, kimchi - not all together) probably wouldn't be around today if it weren't for some inquisitive fellow who thought 'well, maybe just a little nibble!'

Anyways, for all you fellow nibblers out there I have put more sandwich thoughts below. Please feel free to add your own in the comments section:

Perfect pairings
- Banana and Marmite - many thanks Ceci!
- Banana and Bacon - Nigel Slater, English food writer raves about this combo
- Bacon and marmalade or jelly, depending which side of the Atlantic you are on
- Crisp sandwich - 80s Irish cuisine, our friend Bridget, originally from Michigan, now self-proclaimed Paddy likes these. Translated: 2 slices of white bread (the kind with no nutritional value), lot of butter and a load of cheese and onion crisps (chips).
- Chip butty - this is the ultimate carb sandwich. Repeat procedure above but add french fries instead of crisps, and don't forget the ketchup.

Sandwich Dos
- Do cut in half, or even in quarters, diagonally - it tastes better, I swear!
- Do pair with a side of crisps or a pickle - it's all in the crunch
- Do try and get someone else to make it for you - another guaranteed flavour enhancer

Sandwich Don'ts
- Don't leave at a bottom of a bag so that it gets soggy - an ex-boyfriend used to love soggy sandwiches so much that he tried to recreate the circumstances of sogginess by carefully placing sandwiches at the bottom of a bag in a warm place. He called it "school-bag aged". I should have read the signs then.

11 comments:

Bridget said...

HEY--thanks a lot for totally outing me as a crisp butty lover. It was my secret shame, something I only indulged in behind closed doors, and usually after 10 p.m. I'm feeling exposed...

kokamura said...

There's no shame in being a CSL (crisp sandwich lover) - you should be CSL and proud!

Anonymous said...

One ingredient you need to put on the marmite and banana sandwich is peanut butter. I cut a pita bread in half and spread peanut butter on one side of a whole wheat pita bread. Then I put thin slices of banana on top of the peanut butter and spread marmite or Veggiemite on top of the banana slices. The order of the ingredients doesn't matter because it won't change the taste. Then I put the other half of the pita bread on the top. Sometimes I put the sandwich in the toaster oven for a few minutes if I feel like having it warm.

Anonymous said...

Here are some sandwiches the Eckhart children liked:
1. peanut butter and brown sugar - toast a slice of bread, spread peanut butter on the bread, put brown sugar on top of the peanut butter, and put the sandwich in the toaster oven on broil for a few minutes.

2. peanut butter and bacon - toast 2 slices of bread, spread peanut butter on one slice, put tiny pieces of bacon on top of the peanut butter

3. Eric liked grilled cheese with lettuce and mayonaise sandwich and he used to dip the sandwich in chocolate milk - disgusting!
P.S. Eric used to have names for his sandwiches which were titles of movies he had seen.

kokamura said...

Peanut butter and bacon!!!

Unknown said...

What, all these comments on my birthday! But seriously, Wild Geese is a treasure and has been my favorite for many years. Hope to see you soon.

Bill & Sweetie

Anonymous said...

As one who (regretably) has never been across the pond . . .
What the hell is marmite? (sounds like something they mine at the bottom of the ocean)
Also, being from New Jersey, one would never admit to being a butty lover! Sorry Bridget.
the ben

Anonymous said...

First of all, i only eat bananas in their natural form. Secondly, my mother-in-law likes the most horrid sandwich ever, and I defy anyone to top this. Here it it: bread ( of course) butter, peanut butter, mustard, roast beef and tomatoes.

Anonymous said...

That last comment was from me

Anonymous said...

Another sandwich I like is hummus, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and cheese (Any kind will do.)on whole wheat pita bread.
Eric makes fun of my veggie sandwiches and calls it "Rabbit Food".
By the way, on my peanut butter, banana, and marmite or Veggiemite sandwiches I use natural peanut butter. It's much better than regular peanut butter. Once you've had natural peanut butter, you never go back to regular peanut butter.

Anonymous said...

i lke roast beef and avacado, with mayo and tomato of coursei also- like eric- like grilled cheese w mayo lettuce and tomato. only i dont dip mine into choc milk. i dip it, along with everything else, into ranch!!!!
jenny