Monday 3 September 2007

Pasta with fresh tomatoes with basil

I know I'm just after posting up a food blog but I thought I put one up for all you vegetarians out there. I have to confess that though I am a meat-eater I have vegetarian leanings and have, a couple of times in my life, even been one. As Joe Eckhart says 'I'm a sympathiser'.

So I'll usually try to mix in some veggie meals during the week, though I know Eric would be happy to eat meat every single day, no problem (he is a carnivore, through and through). We will usually make something Italian or Indian because with their vegetarian dishes you don't really miss the meat.

We also try to get free-range and organic when we can. It's not always possible with the meat, and sometimes the prices can be prohibitive, but it's nice to know that the animals were treated a bit better. When I get into my philosophical mode I often wonder whether evolution promoted the right species. I mean I know that we are at the top of the food chain and all that and have opposable thumbs yada, yada, yada but I'm not quite sure if that means that we're really the brightest (see Gary Larson cartoon above).

Anyway, below is a lovely vegetarian pasta recipe that comes courtesy of Eric's Mum Nita. It's a great one for when you come in from work, or if you want something a little lighter. I have also left in her notes 'cause when it comes to cooking Nita is usually spot on.

Pasta with fresh tomatoes with basil

3 ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped ( I use 2 more tomatoes at least and only worry about seeds if they are very seedfilled. Like the ox heart has few seeds. I blanche and remove skin.)
2 garlic cloves ( I use 4) minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
8 ounces angel hair pasta
shredded parmesan cheese

1. Saute first 8 ingredients in hot olive oil in large skillet over low heat, stirring constantly for one minute or until thoroughly heated.
2. Spoon over hot cooked pasta; sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

You can cut up tomatoes, chop parsley and basil ahead of time, and squeeze lemon, making this a really fast meal to put on table.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have made this dish of Mom's many times and mine is good but not as good as hers. I have no idea why.

Anonymous said...

NO MEAT ? ? ? why bother ?
the ben

Bridget said...

You'll be back on our team someday, Kusi...just you watch.

Veggie Power!

Anonymous said...

I love this pasta dish too. Unfortunately I didn't get to have it when I was visiting the family this summer because I wasn't there when they had fresh tomatoes from Dad's garden.
I am trying to decide who writes the funniest comments - Ben or Bridget.

Anonymous said...

i thought about this blog this weekend as sally was leaving to shop.
her list started with anchovies, capers, and peanut butter.
sounds like something eric would eat
the ben