Friday 18 April 2008

Is this the best chocolate eva?


I thought a foodie blog was due so here it goes. When we moved in, our landlady, Nina, kindly left us a list of the 'best of' in Berlin. One of the places she recommended was a place around the corner from us called In't Veld, which I have to say, is one of the best chocolate shops I have ever been in. Not only do they do their own brand of chocolate, but they also carry chocolate from around the world. And it's not super sweet, creamy chocolate either, but very intense, high in cocoa, full of flavour chocolate. The kind of chocolate I reckon the Aztecs ate. The real deal.

The one bar I bought, and yes, I can proudly say I only bought the one, was the above, Zotter's Mare's Milk with Oat, except it had a German wrapper so I didn't have a clue what it was. It was amazing - sweet with chewy oats and a deep intense cocoa flavour. It was only when I read the small English translation on the back that I realised it had mare's milk in it. Yes, mare's milk! When I talked to Eric about it, a conversation straight out of Meet the Parents ensued. Me - 'it can't really be horses milk can it? Eric - 'well, horses have nipples too'

Anyway, to make a long story short it was mare's milk, we checked with the store. Apparently mare's milk is sweeter. It's also a delicacy in Mongolia (!). Either way I have to say that it was delicious. I'm not too sure whether it is the best chocolate eva, but that's only because I haven't tried any other of the chocolate in the In't Velt shop. Yet.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your story about the chocolate shop and the mare's milk is very funny. The shop you described reminds me of the movie, Chocolat. Have you ever seen it? I like the movie a lot. I stayed awake through the whole movie, so you know it must be good if I didn't fall asleep. Good luck with the German language class.
Ceci

Bridget said...

Next stop: human breastmilk chocolate. After all, didn't Eric already stand in a bucket of breastmilk? Or did I imagine that?

kokamura said...

Actually I think that might have been Deesta's overactive imagination, which we all thought was hilarious (and disturbing), and so talked about it until it became fact.

Anonymous said...

how absolutely intruiging it all is. i envy you both to no end.
now as to the chocolate, i'm expecting a bar of frauleins milk chocolate when you come home.

Anonymous said...

" You can milk anything with nipples"

Anonymous said...

it's not nipples, it's teats
i got nipples and there's no milk there ! ! !
the ben