Friday 12 December 2008

Some Airline Survival Strategies

I don't know if this a normal progression, but the more I fly, the more I hate flying. I don't have any fear of flying, but I have to say that I really, really don't enjoy it. Short trips are fine but anything over three or four hours and it becomes an endurance test for me. Now we are on our way to Japan in April, which is a whopping 16 hour flight (!!!) and I plan to put in place everything I've learnt about airline travel and how to survive it. Here are just some strategies which I thought I would share with you.

1. Firstly, comfort is king. Bring slippers, or even better slipper socks. In fact bring lots of socks, thick ones at that because planes, for some reason, can be freezing sometimes. Basically make yourself at home. Make your seat and the back of the one in front of you, your own private place.
2. Distract yourself from the journey ahead. Invest in a good book. And definitely invest in that special attachment so you can use your ordinary earphones on the plane. Trust me - it makes all the difference.
3. Another good distraction technique is to get to know your neighbour. Eric hates doing this and swears he brings offensive books to put off any chance of conversation (I think he might be exaggerating). But I love it! If you are in anyway a nosey parker with no sense of boundaries this is a perfect way to pass the time. The hours will literally fly past as you find out all about your neighbour, including what their relationship with their mother is and why is it they think they have abandonment issues. Fascinating stuff!
4. This one's a lifesaver - bring anything peppermint ie. mints, chewing gum, or my favourite peppermint tea. This is wonderful antidote to the air pressure playing havoc with your insides.
5. Channel any discomfort experienced during turbulence into your grip on your partner/neighbour's hand. I find this helps ALOT. However, do take care, especially when your partner/neighbour says 'Stop! Ow, owwwww! You're crushing my hand!' As the old saying goes, a handshake on the ground is worth three in the air. Or something like that.
6. Lastly let it go! This is the key to modern airline travel I think. You are there on that plane for however long it takes to get to your destination and there ain't nothing you can do about it, apart from sitting back and "enjoying" the ride.

Japan here we come!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

for a 16 hour flight
i suggest horse tranquilizers
the ben

Anonymous said...

I love flying, even on long flights. The longest flight I've had is from Los Angeles to Auckland, NZ and I didn't mind it at all. I can't wait to get on the plane this Sat. to fly to Berlin. I wish it was a direct flight, but I'm going from Charlottesville, VA, to Atlanta, GA, to Paris and finally to Berlin. My favourite flights are overseas flights. One suggestion I have is always get an aisle seat so you can get up whenever you want without bothering the person sitting next to you.
See you soon, Eric and Kusi!
Ceci
Ceci

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Love this blog.I've started to hate flying too. For what its worth here are my top tips:

(1) Check-in last, your bags will be first out on the carousel and you wont be queueing for ages.
(2) Pre-book your seat. Get two aisle seats so you are beside each other but also have your own little bit of space. Or ask for the exit row seats - tell them your Mann is a 7ft giant and he needs the extra leg room.Also dont sit near the toilets; doesnt need explaining. And if you are sat next to kids: get the hell out of there. What's cute in the first hour will make you want to chew your own arm off after hour 16.
(3)Ask for an upgrade - if may cost little or even nothing. Ask again when you board the plane.You never know your luck, if you dont ask you dont get. Tell them your newlyweds on your honeymoon - it works a treat.
(4) Dont rush to board or to the baggage claim. You're only going to be queueing so use your time. Stretch your legs, use the bathroom, freshen up.
(5) Defo second the comfort factor: pasmina, socks, eye-mask(for when you're annoying neighbour insists on reading throughout the flight). Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream is brilliant for flying. Layer it on at the beginning and your skin wont dry out. It smells like something your nana would put on her bottom but it's a miracle cream I swear by.
(6)Magazines for when you feel like a book is too much hard work. A notebook for all those little observations/thoughts.Bring your own snacks for in-between crap plane food. Keep hydrated and do those little circulation exercises.
(7) Finally - MHC will while away the hours no problem. Use those blankets they give you to snuggle up together and make your own fun :)


Sorry its long, I got carried away.
The new Mrs Byrne
PS Gav & Lisa had a baby boy on Tuesday morning - Thomas Pullen. Everyone doing well.

Anonymous said...

I thought Eric's method of dealing with a long, boring flight, was to lean back, close his eyes and think about how good-looking he is. Therese

kokamura said...

Thanks for advice people, particularly the tips on the aisle seats. We had pre-booked our seats for our Japan trip and had made the mistake of booking no aisle seats. (By the way, did I mention what a super deal we got with Air France? 500 euros each. Bargaintown!) Anyhows I decided to change our seats so I rang Air France, expecting a whole palava - "we value your custom please wait for 2 hours on hold", "that will be 100 euros" etc, etc. It basically took 3 rings. The woman said "Allo, 'ow can I 'elp?" I said I wanted to change to an aisle seat. She said "But of course". In fact she even booked our seats for the flight back. Happy Days! With that and my Nanna bottom cream I'll be set!

K