Thursday 22 January 2009

When computers go bad...


Forgive me blog-readers, for it has been a long, LONG, time since my last blog, or at least it feels like it. I would like to have had a great story as an excuse about a wild adventure that myself and Eric were on and how I was that busy I just couldn't muster a blog, but unfortunately I have no such story. The main reason is that a couple of weeks ago my computer crashed. Actually not only did it crash, but it basically died. Kaputt, kicked the bucket, bought the farm etc, etc. We brought it to an Apple outlet in the city and there was nothing that could be done. They just wrapped up the old harddrive in plastic and apologetically handed it back to us. I have to say that I nearly had a complete freakout to realise that everything I had on the computer was lost. Then my lovely husband reminded me that in September I had the foresight to back up my harddrive on a handy external harddrive that we have here. So I still had everything up until then. However, it was a bummer to lose all my work and photos from September till now. It was a valuable lesson in "Backing It Up". Seriously, if you have anything important on your computer, make a copy somewhere else. Technology cannot be trusted!!! It will fool you with it's lovely shiny screen and it's perky buttons and it's super quick response time until one day it just leaves without even so much as a good-bye, taking all your valuables with it. (Yes, I'm still talking about computers.) Anyway, that's all I have to say on the matter and wow, I've just realised what a boring, moany blog this is! Apologies - I'm out of practice, a proper blog on the way, I promise! In the meantime, why not share your 'when computers/technology go/es bad' stories in the comments section?

2 comments:

Jason Bennett said...

{What follows is possibly of no interest to anybody but Eric, Thomas and me. I beg your pardon.}
No sob story here but I do see them frequently among faculty at the college. I backup my Macbook Pro frequently using SuperDuper, which I highly recommend. One backup option allows you to do the initial complete backup and thereafter backups are much faster, only modifying what has changed since the initial backup. And it's bootable so there's no downtime while you replace your hard drive.
{Now back to your regularly scheduled program.}

Anonymous said...

and here i was moaning and groaning about your leaving us out of your life.
that's an absolutely great foto of the burning computer.
i'm procrastinating on redoing my resume which i lost on my office comp, that also died. it made a scary whining sound and fell over holding it's chest.
peace love and technology
(the) ben