Monday 29 June 2009

Sounds of the city

Well, I am now back from my retreat in the German countryside where I spent ten days cycling, walking, sitting looking out the window, writing and sleeping. That sounds like I was quite active but to tell the truth a lot of that time was spent indoors. It was a bit intense at times being on my own for that long and having all that time to think. It really was quite the psychological detox. How and ever, I came back to Berlin feeling really good and with a renewed appreciation for life in the city, though a big part of my heart still loves the countryside.

While I was in Stolzenhagen I got a real kick out of taking in all the sounds around me, just things that I would never hear in the city. Most of it was animal sounds, otherwise the place was pretty quiet. There was some funny ones like the donkeys who belonged to the woman downstairs, who sounded uncannily like a group of heavy smokers having a good laugh. We also passed a sheep that Eric said sounded like Kathleen burping. Must have been something in the grass.

Anyway, having returned to Berlin I have taken my ultra sensitive hearing with me. There is, of course, the ever-present noise of traffic. It's like a distant hum that quietens down at night. But there are lots of other sounds which I am finding quite endearing such as the opera singer across the road who sings in the late afternoon and the little girl in the next apartment block who practices her violin. There is also a constant stream of people going to and from the park beside of us, parents and kids mostly, sometimes happy, sometimes not. And there are also a lot of birds around here, probably because of all the trees, some who mimic car-alarms and some who just plain tweet. I think I am enjoying all these sounds because it is just a reminder of all the bustling life around me, which is really summertime in Berlin.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was at Hilary and David's house in England, I loved waking up to the sounds of cows mooing in the field behind the house. I would look out my bedroom window to see the cows. What a wonderful way to start the morning. My first day back in Culpeper, I woke up to the sound of the garbage truck and I really missed the cows.
A sheep that sounds like Kathleen burping? That's so funny!
Ceci

Anonymous said...

Hi Kusi, glad you're back on line & that you had such a nice break in the country. We've been spending much time on the deck lately enjoying the birdsong. And yes, other sounds that aren't exactly melodic, like my neighbor hammering or sawing, are not unappreciated either. In fact, I just came in from a walk with Sheba, during which I kept calling out in a rather loud voice, "Sheba, Sheba-deba, come on buddy, let's go". She's a bit hard of hearing, you know, so I have to speak loudly to be heard, and I'm sure several neighbors could overhear my overtures. Ah well, just part of the local symphony! Love you, Sally