Tuesday 23 October 2007

Only in Ireland

Usually at coffee break in work, around 11am, we all sit around and have a chat. Today Jeanne, a colleague, told us a story which I decided was too good to kept inside the office. And when I heard it, I just thought there was something so Irish about it.

So the story goes like this. Jeanne from my office decides to send her friend in England a somewhat novel birthday present - a pink feather duster (in fairness, I missed this part of the conversation so I don't quite know why she picked that).

Anyway, she brings the duster, all wrapped up, to the GPO (General Post Office) to send off to her friend. The fella at the counter insists that she fill out a declaration form for said odd-shaped object so she carefully states on the sticker - '1 x pink feather duster'. When she hands it back in, the fella takes one look at it and says 'oooh, the dirty bitch!' Jeanne just laughs and thinks nothing of it.

A couple of days later she gets a phonecall from her friend in England to say thanks for the present and for the handwritten note on the envelope. Jeanne says 'but I didn't write anything on the envelope!' It seems the fella at the post office decided to add his own little something to the present by writing a ditty on the envelope:

One feather is erotic
A whole chicken is perverse

As I said, only in Ireland!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a post office story. My friend was teaching english in China. One of the other teachers wrote home asking for Velveeta Macaroni and Cheese. Really loved and missed the stuff. When the package arrived, every box had been opened and the cheese packets removed. Seems you can get all the noodles you want in China but not cheese. Therese

Bridget said...

Wow, that's funny...in a tampering with mail kind of way.

kokamura said...

Just to let you know that apparently this is an old West of Ireland saying! It must be the sea air.