Thursday 14 February 2008

My Dental Nightmare


Warning: this blog is not for the faint-hearted.

As some of know already, this month has been a particularly painful month, with three visits to the dentist and another one to go. For some unknown it seems that some of my teeth have decided to pack it in and have generally been giving me a hard time.

For my American relatives, I know the concept of experiencing pain at the dentist is a completely alien notion. However, if you are Irish it is a pretty common experience. I am not sure whether it's because the drugs are stronger in America or whether our dentists are just sadists but I swear I could fill a book with all the dentist horror stories I have heard since my experience.

Anway, I have decided not to go into too much detail about the whole thing, other than to say, that on the pain scale my last filling was at the Interrogate-the-Terrorist end. Tortuous pretty much covers it, as the dentist ended up hitting the nerve while he was drilling down.

I think the reason Mother Nature or God or whoever decided to cover the tooth nerve with hard enamel was because it is not meant to be touched!!! It was as if someone hooked me up to an electric generator and threw the switch. Basically I jumped out the seat and the nurse screamed. It was all very dramatic and I was sick for about two weeks after. It has now way surpassed The Owl and the Pussycat as the Number One thing to make me shiver when I think about it.

So I have decided to be constructive and have used my experience to compile my top five dentist tips below. Please feel free to add any comments people.

1. Discuss with the dentist what they are going to do before they numb your whole mouth with novacaine.
2. Get them to walk through the procedure as they are doing it.
3. Never trust an Irish dentist when they say it isn't going to hurt.
4. Never trust an Irish dentist when they say it is only going to hurt a little bit.
5. When the dental nurse starts to scream, run.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanx for the laffs (unfortunately at your expense)
I understand your pain.
i take pills and get gas just to have a cleaning ! ! !
the picture of the future eckamura doesn't show on my screen, must have been too much for the censors
love to all
the ben

Anonymous said...

I actually like going to the dentist, and I look forward to my checkups and teeth cleaning twice a year. I haven't had any bad dental experiences yet. Too bad your visit to the dentist was so painful.
Ceci

Therese said...

Well, I haven't had a cavity in over 30 years, but I don't even like to get my teeth cleaned. When we were kids, and I'm talking in the 60's even, our dentist was black. I think we were his only white patients. You are fully aware that my parents have always been radicals. Anyway, one day I had to go to the dentist for a bad tooth.( I forgot to say he never used gloves and his name was Dr. Gunn). I was terrified . I asked him with a trembling voice if he was going to pull my tooth. He laughed and said, " Oh no. I'm just going to extract it." With a sigh of relief I leaned my head back and confidently opened my mouth wide.......... Therese