Monday 25 February 2008

Oscars Wild!

The whole country has gone oscars wild today after Irish film 'Once' winning Best Original Song. It was written by the two main actors in the film, Glen Hansard and Markéta Irlglová. Myself and Eric were really delighted for them because they are both hard-working artists. Markéta Irlgová also gave a great speech about how independent musicians and artists should always dream and never give up hope (music to our ears as we head off to Berlin for our creative break, and also on my recent blog theme of hope).

For those of you who haven't seen the film - go see it! It's a real gem of a film about the relationship between an Irish busker and a Czech immigrant in Dublin city (the photo above was shot on Killiney Hill, just up the road from where we live). It was done on a shoe string using real musicians, and on top of that it is a great story. I cried sporadically throughout the film (tears of joy!) and would definitely said it was one of my top films of 2007.

Below is a clip of their performance of 'Falling Slowly' at the Oscars, which I have been humming all day. A great day for indie musicians everywhere.


7 comments:

Bridget said...

I may be the only person in Ireland who hasn't seen Once, but I was so excited to hear they'd won Best Song. I remember him from back in 1994 when we'd go see The Frames in Whelan's.

I really hope you keep this blog up when you're away from Dublin. We only have one more month of you here! I'm going to spend every minute with you until you leave us--I won't let you out of my sight! You'll look out on your balcony as you eat your breakfast, and there I'll be, living off your basil and thyme plants. You'll hear a rustle under the bed at night and I'll pop my head out just to say "Sweet Dreams!"

Sleep tight.

-Stalker Bridge

Anonymous said...

The highlight of the boring Academy Awards was watching the performance of "Falling Slowly". They blew me away! It was worth watching the show just to hear that beautiful song. I was delighted that it won Best Song, and I thought the singers gave terrific speeches. I had never heard the song and didn't know about the movie, Once. Now that you told us about it, I'd love to see it. I tried to watch the video on the blog, but it says it's no longer available for viewing. I'll try to find it on You Tube. I'd love to see it again.
Ceci

kokamura said...

Hey Stalker Bridge,

That sounds like great craic - you popping your head out from under our bed.

Now, which is more worrying that you would suggest that or that I would like the suggestion?

K

Bridget said...

Kusi, you're starting to sound like Daithi!!!! Pretty soon the term "Cadbury Canal" will be a regular part of your vocabulary. In fact, that could be a good title for one of your erotic poems!

kokamura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kokamura said...

Well, Stalker Bridge, you asked for it:

Cadbury Canal

A cruise up the Cadbury canal
may sound like a cheerful
jaunt in a chocoholic Venetian
paradise, where dark canals run
thick with molten chocolate.
But it’s not, though maybe it’s
not that far off. It is, I imagine, another kind of melt-in-your-mouth
experience where, not unlike a
gondola ride, the pleasure lies
less in the murky waters below,
and more in the smooth touch
of the gondolier, as he punts and
glides, punts and glides.

K

Bridget said...

JANIE MACK!!