Wednesday 23 April 2008

Tourists in Berlin (Part 1)

I have been meaning to put this post up for about a week now so sorry for the delay. One of the days last week myself and Eric decided to do a bit of sight-seeing around Berlin and to see some other areas around the city. So we hopped on the very efficient U-bahn down to the Schoeneberg/Tiergarten area of town, which is in the former West Berlin.
Our first stop was the Winterfeldt Markt in Winterfeldplatz, a huge outdoor food market that runs twice a week (more on markets here in Berlin later). Then we went walked down Ku'damm, basically the main high street in Berlin, and popped into KaDeWe, known for being Europe's biggest department store. And yes, it was bloody enormous and I would have to say very impressive. They are famed for their sixth floor which is basically a huge delicatessan, where, you can imagine, we spent our time saying 'wow, look at those fish', 'wow, look at those cakes!' You would swear we had never seen food before!

And just so you don't think all we do is look at food in Berlin, here are some photos of other places we went on to see afterwards. Above is the Kaiser Wilheim memorial church which is a major landmark in Berlin. It was built by Kaiser Wilheim II in 1891 but was bombed in WWII. It is now a museum with some impressive photos of Berlin in the late 19th century.
A new church was built right beside it, which we popped into for a couple of minutes. This too was also impressive. It is made using mainly stained glass bricks and is really beautiful inside (see photo).

After that we decided to make a trip to the aquarium, which was nearby. It wasn't as big as I thought it would be. I thought that some of the tanks were too small, particularly for the sharks and the electric eel. They really didn't have that much room at all to swim. I actually found it a bit distressing to look at them. I hope that they will expand it some day as I think it is just too cruel for the poor creatures.

The smaller animals looked fine and happy however, such as the reptiles (see above) and the jellyfish (below). (Doesn't the lizard above look like a mini dinosaur?)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the look on eric's face seems like he's looking at a geneticaly enlarged german shnitzel, not the cake aisle.
thanks for the tour of berlin.
looks and sounds cool
the ben

Anonymous said...

The little reptile is so cute. You're right-it does look like a mini dinosaur. I enjoy seeing your photos and reading about your travels in Berlin.
Ceci

Bridget said...

Eric,

I like the picture of the jellies. I miss you. I love you. I like Eric. I love Eric so much.

Love,
Siofra

XXXOOO

PS: Happy birthday to me.