Saturday 5 September 2009

Lost in Translation

Staying on the theme of language, one of the most frustrating, and also most funny things, about being an English speaker in a non-English speaking country are the regular misunderstandings and miscommunication in our daily conversations. With our muddled German and with German people's muddled English, often with some kind of muddled sign language mixed in, we find ourselves regularly having strange and wonderful conversations that leave us scratching our heads.

The instances have been so many that it's hard to think about it now. The first that comes to mind is the time we went to a friend's gig and got talking to a woman who I thought was the hairdresser of small dogs. She was in fact in a hairdresser, but she had been trying to excuse herself from the conversation by telling us that she didn't like 'small talk'.

Often there is just misunderstanding through mispronounciation. When the weather was hot here during August I learnt a new German word 'schwül', which means 'humid'. Which can be very easily confused, if your lips aren't puckered enough when pronouncing it, with the word 'schwul' which means 'gay'.

One of the hardest things for a German speaker is the pronounciation of the letter 'w'. I was once talking to a German friend who has had bad luck in love and was feeling cynical about men and meeting Mr Right. I was saying how hard it is to make oneself vulnerable and open to another person when one is feeling wary. She said 'wunerable, wunerable. Agh! I can't even pronounce this word.'

Or sometimes the translation just comes out sounding funny. I was commenting on the full moon to my new friend Sibylle and she said 'oh yes, I feel so furry'!

Anyway, this is all par for the course with living in Berlin. And very entertaining it is too. I will leave you with a popular ad here in Germany for Berlitz, which shows the perils of mistranslation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That made me laugh. Therese

Anonymous said...

That is so funny!
Ceci

Sibylle said...

Eric, you two-faced liar! Recently you complimented me on my English. That furry-thing was a reference to my turning into a werewolf. Full moon, fur, claws, howling, tearing humans into pieces etc. Didn't I tell you about my condition?!